Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sloth

Not this type which, despite the humongous nails, seems benign and cuddly.
But this....





The room of a teenage girl.
I always know when the mess inside is getting beyond reasonable...stuff starts to pile up in the hallway.
Notice that she has to step over it to get into said room. Why is it so easy to just step over piles?
That is my question....
JUST PICK IT UP AND MOVE IT INTO PRIVATE QUARTERS!
The door is always closed but I cracked it open to reveal the true extent of the sloveliness!
Until I started researching the word I hadn't realized it was one of the seven deadly sins! Now, not only is my child unbaptised but guilty of at least one deadly sin!
She may be crossing the River Styx some day!
Granted she comes by the tendancy naturally.
Any of you who have read my past posts on my piling ways will be well aware of that!
And
As a teenager I too suffered from the sin of slothfullness to the same degree that Dear Daughter (DD) does.
The difference in her life over mine is that I was expected to clean my room on a regular basis where as I live in eternal hope that the desire to be non-messy will come naturally at some point in her life.
Now I am in the hell of having a DD who lives in squalor!
All sins have consequences!
Maybe one day she will have a daughter of the same ilk!
How Slothful am I?
(one always has to check these things before confronting a teenager don't cha know)
What is Sloth?
Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.
Well...I try not to avoid spiritual work but physical work is a different thing all together
Why you do it:
You're shiftless, lazy, and good fer nuthin'.
hmmm....lazyish, not shiftless and definitely good for somethings!!


Medieval theologian Thomas Aquinas said Sloth is "sluggishness of the mind which neglects to begin good... [it] is evil in its effect, if it so oppresses man as to draw him away entirely from good deeds."
Well I am not sluggish of mind. In fact the non-sluggishness of my mind causes my physical sloth.
AND
I have not been drawn entirely away from good deeds.
YET.
So what do you think?
Do I help this teenager become less slothful by forcefully instilling orderliness?
Or
Do I mend my own ways first?
(notice I include no photos of my transgressions in this entry!)

No comments: