Thursday, December 18, 2008
99 things meme
Nicked from Knitters-Knitters.
Things you've already done: bold
Things you want to do: italicize
Things you haven't done and don't want to - leave in plain font
1. Started your own blog. (have 2 blogs)
2. Slept under the stars.
3. Played in a band.
4. Visited Hawaii.
5. Watched a meteor shower.
6. Given more than you can afford to charity. .
7. Been to Disneyland/world.
8. Climbed a mountain.
9. Held a praying mantis.
10. Sang a solo. Once at a Wedding. I will probably never do it again. Too nerve wracking
11. Bungee jumped. No freakin' way.
12. Visited Paris.
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea.
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch. Paper Making, Pottery, Photography....
15. Adopted a child.
16. Had food poisoning.
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
18. Grown your own vegetables.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.
20. Slept on an overnight train. Took the train from Montreal to Saskatoon when a child. 3 nights on the train.
21. Had a pillow fight.
22. Hitch hiked.
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill.
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb.
26. Gone skinny dipping.
27. Run a marathon. Oh you must be joking.
28. Ridden a gondola in Venice.
29. Seen a total eclipse.
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset. Several. The most memorable from the 14th floor of an apartement whiole enjoying a mind altering substance. You could see the world turn. Really.
31. Hit a home run. ...Being able to hit a ball first would be good...
32. Been on a cruise.
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors.
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language. Not taught myself, but have been taught French.
37.Had enough money to be truly satisfied. I am satisfied with my life as it is.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing.
40. Seen Michelangelo's David in person.
41. Sung Karaoke.
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt.
43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant.
44. Visited Africa.
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight.
46. Been transported in an ambulance. Acute Appendicitis New Years Eve 30 or so years ago...
47. Had your portrait painted. As a child.
48. Gone deep sea fishing.
49. Seen the Sistene chapel in person.
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling. Lots of snorkeling in pools. Once in Mexico in the Ocean. Fish freaked me out a bit. And claustrophobia.
52. Kissed in the rain.
53. Played in the mud.
54. Gone to a drive-in theatre.
55. Been in a movie.
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout cookies.
62. Gone whale watching.
63. Gotten flowers for no reason.
64. Donated blood. Once. I have small veins. It was painful.
65. Gone sky diving. Never ever ever.
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp.
67. Bounced a cheque.
68. Flown in a helicopter. .
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy. Cindy my dolly.
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten Caviar
72. Pieced a quilt.
73. Stood in Times Square.
74. Toured the Everglades.
75. Been fired from a job. Sad but true.
76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London.
77. Broken a bone. Broken ribs a couple of times falling down stairs and a bone in my foot slipping on ice.
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.
80. Published a book.
81. Visited the Vatican.
82. Bought a brand new car.
83. Walked in Jerusalem.
84. Had your picture in the newspaper.
85. Read the entire Bible.
86. Visited the White House.
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating.
88. Had chickenpox.
89. Saved someone’s life.
90. Sat on a jury. I was up for jury selection but never got on a jury.
91. Met someone famous. Gowan (Canadian Singer)
92. Joined a book club. Started a book club no less.
93. Lost a loved one. but only if you count my pets
94. Had a baby.
95. Seen the Alamo in person.
96. Swum in the Great Salt Lake.
97. Been involved in a law suit.
98. Owned a cell phone.
99. Been stung by a bee.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
I was at a friend's cottage this Sunday and managed to take a few pictures to fuel my knitted forest ideas.We took a stroll late in the morning and got in just before it started raining. I love being out of the city.
I have this idea floating around in my head to create a forest floor out of knitted components. Then I want to mount them on a canvas and hang it on the wall. An odd view of the forest floor.
I actually like the forest at this time of the year because you can see the structure of all the trees and plants.
Look at the above picture sideways and you would swear an animal was trapped inside. The trees have eyes....
What makes those few leaves hang on for dear life? I feel cold just looking at this tree.
I finally submitted my Brainwave. I did a few changes since I last showed it to you.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Monday, October 27, 2008
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Sunday, October 12, 2008
As I was sitting at the computer this early this morning the sun was coming up. The early morning light was glowing on the trees in the front of our house and that was filling the room with a golden hue. It was a magical moment that I was completely unable to capture in these pictures.
But I wanted to share it anyways. There is something so wonderful about the way fall makes me feel. I love the colours, I love the crispness in the air. I love the apples and pumpkins. I love the crunching sound the leaves make as I take Kessie for a walk. I love how some leaves freak Kessie out so much she cautiously approaches them and then seems let down that it is only a drying leaf!
I also love that we start to wear our sweaters and scarves and mitts.
I started Tudora from Knitty yesterday and got done today. Ahhh.. a sense of accopmlishment.
Now I am going to have some lovely lunch and then go out into the golden wonderfulness.
Monday, October 06, 2008
I am trying to take time to smell the roses but running a small business is time consuming and occasionally stressful.
A year and a half ago I would have never thought that I would have any misgivings about taking the leap into self employment. I love being in the shop! I love meeting new people. I love helping knitters put together just the perfect yarn for the perfect pattern. I love everything about it except the money concerns.
So for now the pink roses by my back entrance to the shop keep me buoyed.
And... of course... being in the position of having supplies at hand when I get a creative inspiration such as the Wave in my Brain (pictures in the previous post). Why did this wave come into being?
It all started with the Whitby Station Gallery juried art exhibition idea. Fresh. The idea led me to water, which led me to waves. Which led me to the short rowing that I have been playing with all summer. So the wave...within a wave. I have taken a week sabatical from the piece to see where the idea was going. I am ready to continue today. I did have to stock up on some quilt batting and fabric to carry on. The idea evolves.
My intellect keeps trying to figure out a way to merchanise this idea. I am trying to keep this part of my brain at bay until I am finished. But I have seen purses based on the wave and a shawl and small framed pieces. Then there are cards.. See I am having trouble turning it off.
Now I am going to take a relaxing bath and read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. That is the book that the Kniterary Literary Club is reading this month. I am loving it.
Thursday, July 17, 2008
We saw some wild life such as this Blue Heron on the raft in the middle of our bay.
And this wee Dragon Fly
I did some knitting. Less than I had planned to but My mind was in planning mode. I am almost finished Nutkin!
And started Rainbow Socks with Regia Galaxy.
Then I was distracted by the Fairy Faces in the Sumach...
Can I go back now?
Monday, July 07, 2008
First there was the knit linen bags, then I spent a summer sewing big ass carry alls. Then one summer I made bags out of laminated magazine ads. Three years ago I was knitting Lopi bags for felting. Last year I was knitting small cable purses and sewing project bags out of remnants.
This summer I am back onto the felted bags again. This time I am combining colours and yarns. My Morrisseau bag and now my blue lagoon bag.
(I am doubling the yarn and to see how the felting will turn out.) Oh and I designed a market bag that is now being test knit out of Mission Falls Cotton.
Oh and the Sari Silk bag!
What is it about summer and bags for me?
First off bags and purses? I am not a frou frou woman who has a purse for every outfit. Admittedly I do have an assortment of purses and bags and I buy the occasional vintage one. Is it because I like sorting my "stuff'? Usually bags turn into big huge pits of disorganization even when I get ones with pockets and sections.
Maybe I am searching for the bag that will finally organize my "stuff" on its own! Now wouldn't that be a purse!!!? Yes that would be my dream bag! A bag that I could just toss everything into and the bag would take responsibility for organizing and making sure that the item desired would be immediately at hand at the perfect time!! A bag that would negate the necessity for dumping it out at cash registers or when looking for the car key! Kind of like Mary Poppins or a bag from Hogwarts. A purse that always carries what is needed even if the item was only thought about and not actually put into the purse.
Ok that one is solved. I am trying to create the perfect bag/purse with all the magical accessories it needs.
Why Summer? Well of course because school is out! It doesn't matter that I have been out of school for too many years that I care to remember. The fact is that summer was always the time for creativity to flow. A time when I didn't have to make something to fit a pre existing parameter.
So bags in summer it has seemed to be for longer than I can remember. Bags that only have the parameter that they are meant to hold something. Otherwise they are blank canvases that can be as wild as my mind allows. A bag or purse can be an accessory that has its own pursenality (I'm so funny).
When I knit a bag I usually just allow the colour and the yarn to dictate the end product. So I guess in that I am creating magical bags.
Tomorrow I felt the Morrisau and the Blue Lagoon Bag (should I felt the Blue Lagoon?).
I am already building the next one in my head and can't wait for it to happen!
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Yesterday we learned how to bead and create Dragonflies. I wasn't really into it at first but ended up thoroughly enjoying the process of putting the beads together! Yum...colour!
Then we got into the Rock Wrapping. This is my favorite way to work with wire! No preplanned course to take. Just be one with the rock and wrap.
This first one is a landscape Jasper rock that I cut and polished about 20 years ago. The only rock I managed to ever cut and polish to date. The silver hanging bit was also done about 20 years ago while I was taking a jewellery course at George Brown College in Toronto. Both pieces have been waiting for the perfect moment to become something and last night was the time. I am so pleased with how it turned out!
This Chrysophase jumped into my hand while I was in my local spiritual shop. I was walking around with a piece of amethyst but was called by this rock so I threw down the amethyst and bought this piece.
This class has renewed my love of jewellery making. I can't wait to do more.....when I am not knitting.
Wednesday, June 04, 2008
Also in the alpaca enclosure was 2 lovely big white guard dogs and this funny, freindly pot belly pig.
When I grow up I want to have an alpaca farm with a pot belly big too!
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Originally uploaded by martianknit.
This is a fun mosaic Creation from Flickr.
a. Type your answer to each of the questions below into Flickr Search.
b. Using only the first page, pick an image.
c. Copy and paste each of the URLs for the images into fd's mosaic maker.
1. What is your first name?
2. What is your favorite food?
3. What high school did you go to?
4. What is your favorite color?
5. Who is your celebrity crush?
6. Favorite drink?
7. Dream vacation?
8. Favorite dessert?
9. What you want to be when you grow up?
10. What do you love most in life?
11. One Word to describe you.
12. Your flickr name
If you click on the mosaic and go to Flickr you will see my answers!