Saturday, February 03, 2007

Ten Things that Begin with "D"

I have seen this meme on a couple of blogs and thought it seemed fun. I asked Dipsy D. to send me a letter last week sometime and now I am finally getting around to doing it. If you would like to participate let me know and I will send you a letter too! The 10 things need to be significant or have impact on your life.

1. Diet.
I have a fairly healthy diet. I manage to eat a good selection of all the food groups but I continue to have an issue with weight control. So I am often considering and then not starting a diet. I am as healthy as a horse but I know that one day my extra pounds are going to affect my general health. The reason that my or a diet continue to be so important in my life has to do with number 2.

2. Dessert!
I love dessert! I love Creme Carmel, Lemon Merigue pie, ice cream, pecan pie, cookies, cinnamon buns , apple crisp etc...etc... I just have a tremendously large sweet tooth. I try to not have most of the afore mentioned desserts in my house so I have self imposed self denial while at home. After a meal I almost always crave something sweet and I would give up my healthy ways to be able to only ever eat dessert!

3. Dabble.
I dabble in many things. I am a master of few things but I know a little about alot of things. I dabble in sewing, baking, belly dancing, tai chi, gardening, painting, ceramics, silk screening, embroidery, felting, housework... I have a dabblers approach to accumulating information too. I read headlines and rarely read the articles in newspapers. I rely on others to tell me the stories. I dabble because I get bored so easily. Knitting is one of the few past times that has never bored me (except when I am on sleeve island!). In some respects I am still a knitting dabbler but I am far mor serious about learning all about it than anything else in my life. I feel as if I even dabbled at University. I did enough to get by but never quite enough to excel.

4. Dogs.
I love dogs. Big ones and small ones. I have been Mom to 3 dogs. My very first dog was a Pomeranian named Merlyn.


He lived to the ripe old age of 17. He came before my husband and was able to accept the inclusion of that man into our lives. My second dog was Nimue, our Golden Retriever.

She passed away almost 2 years ago and I still miss her sweet face. She lived to 14. She was petrified of thunder and fire works and she thought she should be a lap dog. My 3rd and current dog is Kessie.

She is about 16 months old and she is the sweetest little bossy thing ever! She is the first dog that I have had who I can make howl. She likes to bury all her dog biscuits and toys in the couches and potted plants. She gives the most wonderful hugs! I will never be without a dog in my life if I can help it.

5. Dental Floss
My teeth are very close together. I need to floss regularily. I don't always. My favorite type of dental floss is the tape type. The string type cuts my gums.

6. Daughter
I am a daughter and I have one daughter. Raising a daughter is an exercise in self control. I want her to be so much more than I am so I have very high expectations of her at times. I am aware of this so I am try to be open with her about why I act the way I do sometimes. I hope that being honest about this will help her to understand herself better and be more self assured than me. I always wanted a daughter (and of course a son!)(when I do "S" I will include son in it!). I have a great daughter and my life would not be complete without her in it. Since my daughter is my first born her birth caused many changes in my life. Many major changes. Major growing up. Major love.

7.Diamonds.
I have but one diamond ring.

It was built out of my original engagement ring and wedding band and encorporated the original diamond and a series of smaller ones taken from a ring I no longer wore. It is one of a kind and speaks to me of the love of my husband of 22 years who was ok with me having it rebuilt for my 40th birthday.

8. Dancing.
I love to dance. I dabble in belly dancing. I took ballet when I was a girl. My favorite part of Gym class in high school was the folk dancing section. I still remember dancing to Hava Nagilla (sp?). There are times when I just have to crank the music and dance around the living room. I don't dance in public much anymore because I am self conscious about looking like an old fart doing alot of jiggling. I love to watch my daughter dance.

9. Depression.
I suffer from clinical depression. I take Prozac and probably will for the rest of my life. I took steps towards taking control over it after I had 2 children and all I was doing was yelling at them all the time. I don't cry too much when I am depressed I am angry. I attack the world around me. So I am resigned to having to take my little white and green pills for the rest of my life. I have tried to come off them 2 times since I first started taking them but my seretonin levels got all out of whack again. I'd rather be a happy positive person.

10. Degree.
I have my B.A. in Psychology. The things I learned in the study of psychology has stayed with me through out the years. The way of thinking and the knowledge I absorbed has helped me be a better partner, mother and friend. It is the foundation that has allowed me to self improve and assist others in their own self improvement.

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

You are a very interesting person. I mean that in a good way. I've always wanted to take belly dancing, but never had the cahonies. Not even when I had a belly worth showing off.

Charity said...

Oh, I've always wanted to try belly dancing, too! :0)

I so hear you about your daughter. I look at my own oldest, and I see so much of myself. I want to spare her so much of the pain I went through, and the hard lessons, and I see so, so much potential. It's hard not to have high expectations.

kt said...

Good "D"-scriptive run-down! Yay for dogs, dancing, and daughters.

I like the new template...is it the Beta version? I'm still chewing my nails and dragging m feet about changing over....

I'd love a letter if you're handeing them out! This is a very cool meme!