Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Field Trip!

Today My Mother and I went on a field trip!

We went to Kleinburg to the McMichael Gallery. One of my favorite native Canadian artists has a show on there. Norval Morrisseau. The Shaman Artist . His work is awe inspiring and mystic. The effect it has on me is almost beyond description. I love the bold colours and the native shapes and the stories the pieces tell.

Imagine this painting 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide. It just sucks you right in.


The McMichael Gallery its self is quite beautiful. It is set in a forested area and have many large windows that bring the outdoors in.
Here is my Mom in one of the sitting areas and her view is the following picture.

There are rest stations all over with such glorious views.

After our trip through the exhibit and our rest stop we had to visit the store (well, of course!) I got myself a pretty pair of native inspired silver earrings. A family Christmas gift (which shall remain a secret until then!) and pictures of these fun knitting kits.

The Szechuan Scarf

and a Cup of Yarn.

Too funny! Yarn, scarf pattern and a pair of knitting needles! I didn't look at the price. But fun marketing!


Then last but not least I had to stop by one of my favorite paintings by Canadian Artist Lawren Harris. There is something about this piece of art that relaxes me absolutely and totally. I could look at it for a long time and never get tired of it. It is called Mount Lefroy.

Lawren Harris is part of the Group of Seven. The Group of Seven is a very important group of artists in Canadian art history.



I really needed this recharging field trip! I am refilling my creative cup and enjoying the process.
Next step.
Refinding my self esteem. I don't think it is too lost!

4 comments:

Monika said...

Oh wow, I love to go to McMichael's Gallery. We've been there several times.Actually, every time we have visitors (from Europe) we go there. We were blown away with Norval Morrisseau's work too. We've purchased several prints and framed them and now I can look at them every day. I even went so far and painted a picture myself, inspired by him. That was a good move to go there! ;o)

barbp said...

I wish there was an easy button for you to find what you are searching for. But most times, the journey to the goal is actually the prize. I pray that's what you find as well.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good time. I'm glad you got out and forgot for a little while. Sometimes that's just what we need -- and something we tend to overlook.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait time when my girls will grown up enough, so I can go to trip with someone at least my age!