Saturday, December 02, 2006

I'm Awake!!

I have a problem.

I keep falling asleep.

While I am knitting.

I will be knitting away and suddenly I realize that I have been sitting and sleeping while half way through a stitch. I suppose I should be grateful that I have not dropped the stitch or the knitting. It is very frustrating! I need to get some projects done by tomorrow and because I keep falling asleep it is going very slowly. I suppose it doesn't help that beside me is this little girl!

I don't want to sleep while I am knitting. I used to have the same type of problem when I was in University. During lectures in big lecture halls I would often find myself nodding off while still taking notes. If only I was in Uni now! I would be recording the lectures! But...knitting is another thing. I can't take notes and transcribe immediately afterwards, I can't, somehow, have automatic sleep knitting that keeps the pattern and drops no stitches. I have tried. When I feel myself getting tired I think (erroneously) that I can just close my eyes and carry on knitting. (This works best when knitting in the round.) Eventually I wake up in mid stitch. I try to carry on 2 or 3 times after the first snooze but then I have to lay the knitting aside and have a nap.
I suppose that you are wondering why I don't get up and make a strong coffee and do some other things. I wonder that too! But, at the time sleep just seems the best thing to do!
I need some tricks. Some staying awake tools! I need to learn not to relax while knitting. Oh, ye of wakeful knitting habits! Share some of your secrets! Please!!


Saturday sky...We have sun!!! After 2 or 3 days of dismal rain we have sun!!
I took a few moments to sit in the corner of my couch and bask in it this morning!


Here are a few more of my Santas.


I thought this bowl of ornaments looked so good in the morning sun today! Almost like a bowl of jewels!
Now....

I have to clean this house!!! Company tomorrow!

I hope you too are enjoying the sun!

4 comments:

Charity said...

Now I don't feel so bad about starting to drift during Handel's Messiah! It was beautiful, but so relaxing! :0)

Anonymous said...

I wish I could help you, I would get more knitting done! If I'm too tired to knit, I make huge (but often inscrutable) knitting errors, so now I just put it aside and wait for a better time.

Gina said...

you are not alone my friend. This week, while trying very hard to finish Ariann so that she can make her debut at the staff Christmas party tonight, I have fallen asleep while knitting no less than 4 times. I am just now ready to cast off the collar but still have ends to weave and buttons to sew, not to mention a wet block on the alpaca. No debut tonight for Ariann thanks to sleepy me.

Dorothy said...

Love all your Santas.

I make a mess out of my patterns when I am really tired and have learned that it is best for me not to knit then. The only things I can think of are making sure you are getting enough complex carbohydrates, water and a bit of nice dark chocolate here and there. I don't get dragged out and tired anywhere near as much since I was diagnosed and had to change my eating habits. (Hypoglycemia)