Sunday, May 12, 2013

I AM

I am a hand knitter.

Sometimes I feel I should call myself a Fibre Artist because it sounds more important than knitter. I do other fiber arts.  I rug hook, Embroider, crochet, sew... But the craft I feel most at home doing is knitting.
I love the way the yarn slips through my fingers and become a fabric that is most often utilitarian.  I love the creation of the utilitarian beauty of knit fabric.
I know you can get the same kind of result with sewing. But I don't enjoy it the same way.  Possibly the reason I enjoy embroidery is the hands on feel of fabric and thread.

Hand  knitting and hand embroidery and rug hooking for that matter are all slow crafts. I can feel and watch the colours grow and come into being.  It is almost as if my hands are magic and I can make them create a vision that was once only in my head.

No comments: